About JumpStart Inc.
JumpStart is a non-profit venture development organization whose mission is to unlock the full potential of entrepreneurship to transform entire communities. Our vision is to collaborate with partners to generate dramatically improved and inclusive economic outcomes by supporting diverse entrepreneurs, optimizing entrepreneurial ecosystems, and accelerating innovation.
Key to JumpStart’s success is its ability to leverage the skills, experience, and creativity of its inspired team to transform entrepreneurial aspirations into actions with measurable impact. JumpStart associates take great pride in making JumpStart a highly demanding yet incredibly fun place to work.
The Accounting Intern is responsible for practicing their accounting knowledge and skills in a professional setting. Their duties include review and process accounts payable invoices daily. Assigning codes, sets up new vendor’s accounts, and obtaining necessary approvals. Communicate with internal departments to gather or clarify financial information/documentation. Managing accounts payable using accounting software. Handling accounts payable for separate entities. Assist in other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- ~80% of time will be spent on accounts payable: code invoices, conforming to standard procedures to ensure proper for approval by the Manager of each department. Resolve vendor discrepancies and respond to inquiries. Maintain file and documentation in accordance with JumpStart policy and accepted accounting principles. Assist in month end closing.
- ~20% of time to be spent on all other project and administrative support needed for the organization and coordination with the finance team. This position is expected to assist with tasks and projects for these activities in conjunction with the rest of the team members.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Physical Demands: The work is mostly sedentary; it generally involves considerable desk time with attendant walking, bending and carrying light items. There are no special physical demands. Changes in work priorities and deadlines can occur based on organizational needs.
- Work Environment: Work takes place in a typical office setting which has adequate space, light and furnishings.
- Other: Assist with other tasks and reports as required.
Education, Training and/or Experience
- High school diploma with college credits towards a Bachelor’s degree, major in accounting or finance.
- 1+ years of accounting experience, with nonprofit accounting experience a plus.
- Experience with general ledger, A/P and A/R.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Skilled spreadsheet experience required, as well as a firm understanding of Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must be proficient in a Windows environment and computerized accounting software.
- A basic knowledge of theory, concepts and practices of accounting with a willingness to apply knowledge to broad range of assignments.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive materials.
- Professional appearance and well-developed communication skills – both oral and written.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and work under deadline pressure with minimal supervision.
- Detail-minded and accurate.
- Must work well with others and work in accordance with JumpStart’s overall objectives and established procedures and meet all standards of quality.
Preferred Additional Qualifications
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Non-Profit accounting experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Basic Accounting
- Detailed Oriented
JumpStart’s Core Values and Key Cultural Behaviors
- Accountability: Act to deliver on commitments and generate results, and if expectations aren’t clear, ask
- Entrepreneurial: Embrace opportunity, continuous improvement, and change, and contribute to the solution as we evolve
- Equity: Committed to corrective action regarding historically underserved and underrepresented populations through entrepreneurship and innovation
- Energy: Address our work with focus, grit and enthusiasm
- Collaboration: Collaborate with others to play our most helpful role(s) and to increase effectiveness
- Humility: Balance self-assurance with listening to understand, having an open mind, and demonstrating patience
JumpStart’s Definitions for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
- Diversity: A measure of psychological, demographic, physical, and social differences occurring among any and all individuals in a specific group; including but not limited to racial identity, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, culture, developmental ability, and learning styles.
- Inclusion: The act of promoting and maintaining an environment in which diverse groups of individuals are welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and empowered. An environment prioritizing differences and offers respect and acceptance in the words/actions/thoughts of all people.
- Equity: An acknowledgment and understanding there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations, and corrective action regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to eliminate barriers and guarantee equality in the provision of fair treatment, access opportunity, and advancement in the provision of effective opportunities to all groups.
- Emphasis Statement: Historically, African Americans, Latinx people, and women have been economically disenfranchised and disconnected from innovation and entrepreneurship. For these reasons, we place an emphasis on these populations as we work to diversify our culture and be inclusive in our daily interactions and decisions.
JumpStart’s Operating Style: JumpStart team members are expected to be:
- Honest: We speak the truth, plainly and simply, kindly and considerately. We will challenge you as we seek to accomplish great things. And we hope you will do the same with us.
- Responsive: We respond rapidly to your inquiries and actively communicate so we are all on the same page.
- Resourceful: We will be creative and efficient in helping you to access relationships, contacts and other resources to help you succeed.
- Insightful: We will provide the knowledge and insight about entrepreneurship and innovation you aren’t able to easily get from others.
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of JumpStart. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.