Senior DevOps Engineer
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Platform team builds and maintains the platform for our AI lending products. We create developer-friendly solutions that enable our product teams to rapidly deploy and iterate – without having to get bogged down in pipeline or infrastructure creation details. The team’s mission is to create reliable high-level tools that enable our product teams to deploy projects and microservices at whatever pace they wish.
Upstart is looking for a talented and experienced Senior DevOps Engineer to join our Platform team. As a Senior DevOps Engineer at Upstart, you will help architect, plan, build, automate and scale the tools used by Product Engineers to build, test, and deliver their code to production. You will be instrumental in defining and implementing our core platform infrastructure and help us realize our data-driven mission of affordable credit.
We are particularly interested in finding engineers who enable us to “build an airplane factory” instead of merely “building airplanes”. We are seeking contributors who can not only function at a high level (working with stakeholders across the company to tease out their needs) but also “get their hands dirty” helping write and modify code.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all U.S. time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur a few days per quarter at various locations in the US. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Identify pain points in our create/launch/build/deploy processes, and outline plans to improve them
- Help define the future of and contribute directly to Upstart's cloud infrastructure
- Help create and monitor cost-related metrics to ensure our teams are using cloud resources efficiently
- Work with other engineering and product teams to ensure the tools we are building are enabling those teams to move quickly
- Work with our “Ephemeral Environments” team to ensure that product engineers can rapidly spin up fully-working environments to test all of their code
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 5+ years of experience working with modern web application language / framework (Kotlin/Ruby/Python or similar)
- 3+ years of experience with scripting and supporting multiple AWS Resources (ie, EC2, RDS, IM, S3, Lambda, API Gateway)
- 3+ years of experience with setting up monitoring/observability for complex web applications, including automation and continuous improvement of alerting, monitoring, dashboards, logging using techs such as DataDog, NewRelic, AWS Cloudwatch
- Hands-on experience with Kubernetes.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience building and maintaining high-volume, high-uptime CI/CD systems and related technologies (e.g. Jenkins, GithubActions, AWS CDK, Terraform, Gradle, Helm, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of Linux architecture, administration, troubleshooting, and production operations - including automation via shell scripting (ie, Bash)
- Skills in building CI/CD pipelines covered by automated tests
- Ability to inspire other people to work with you, and the skills to remain engaged with a fully-remote team
- A willingness to learn on the job and take on tasks as needed
- Experience with tools similar to Artifactory, harness, etc.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
Something looks off?