Consumer Insight Manager
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Growth Team is in charge of expanding Upstart’s reach to the millions of Americans without access to affordable credit. We are energized by the prospect of breaking ground in our field and making a positive impact on people’s financial lives. We are looking for a full-stack growth marketing manager who can help us grow our new products sustainably through compelling and creative ways.
Ideally, you would have a history of working independently and efficiently across a number of projects, helping teams act upon research and analysis to drive both near- and long-term business strategy and success.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, USA
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur a maximum of 3 consecutive days, once per Month, at the San Mateo, CA office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
As a Consumer Insights Manager, you will bring the voice of the customer to the decision making table. You will help identify our biggest gaps and build a program that addresses the highest priority of the business. Your work will generate valuable customer, competitive and market insights that will inform our product strategy, influence our go-to-market strategy, and enable us to create and execute campaigns that drive acquisition and retention.You appreciate and value the power of data to craft compelling, relevant, and relatable stories that breathe life into the numbers. Your innate curiosity will be your driving force, as you uncover the attitudes, behaviors, motivations, and choices of consumers, connecting the dots along the way.
- Consumer Research: Design, execute, and analyze consumer research studies, including surveys, focus groups, interviews, and usability tests, to uncover key insights and consumer preferences. Identify trends, patterns, and opportunities that inform product adoption and marketing strategies.
- Data Analysis: Collect, analyze, and interpret large datasets from various sources, such as customer feedback, website analytics, social media, and market research reports. Utilize statistical techniques to derive actionable insights and present findings to cross-functional teams.
- Collaborative Insights: Work closely with product managers, marketing teams, and senior leadership to translate consumer insights into actionable recommendations. Collaborate cross-functionally to ensure consumer-centric decision-making and alignment across the organization.
- Consumer Behavior Tracking: Develop and implement systems to monitor and track consumer behavior, including customer journey mapping, segmentation, and cohort analysis. Identify opportunities for optimizing the user experience and conversion rates across multiple touchpoints.
- Competitive Analysis: Stay up-to-date with industry trends, competitor offerings, and market dynamics. Conduct regular competitive analysis to identify gaps and opportunities, and provide recommendations to enhance our competitive advantage.
- Customer Advocacy: Serve as a voice of the customer to senior management (C Suite- VPs and GMs), advocating for their needs and preferences. Champion a customer-centric culture by fostering empathy and understanding among internal teams.
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of relevant consumer insights experience on the client-side or Market Research consultant side with proven expertise in analyzing and communicating insights in a digestible, actionable, storytelling manner to and for internal business partners
- Fluent in a variety of research methodologies with core strength in quantitative approaches and analysis
- Ability to develop and execute research projects end-to-end
- Strong project execution and organization skills, including handling multiple projects
- Passion for building and maintaining strong stakeholder relationships, collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Attention to detail, critical thinking, creative problem-solving, and a strong work ethic
- Self-starter with a desire for continuous improvement and implementing new solutions
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently
- History of excellence and innovation in synthesizing complex findings from various sources
- Ever-curious attitude applied daily
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or marketing research required
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
#LI-MidSenior --> use for L5, L6
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.