Senior Product Designer
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart has experienced remarkable growth in recent years, successfully processing billions of dollars in loans every quarter - and our Lending Partnerships (not to mention our borrowers!) are at the heart of our growth. Our Lending Partnerships and Capital Markets team plays an important and strategic role driving funding, securitization, warehouse financing and risk management strategies by creating Products that our partners love, and which they use to manage their portfolio with Upstart.
Our Design team is responsible for conceiving of, articulating, and bringing to life magical self-serve experiences for our Business Partners, and we are looking for Senior UX Designer to join our talented, collaborative, supportive, and fun team.
As a Senior Product Designer, you will join our core team of UX designers and work directly with Product, Engineering, and Creative to turn our strategies and ideas into simple, intuitive, and highly polished products that our Partners love. You’ll drive research that informs your Designs and UX, and you’ll implement high variance, creative experiments and feedback loops that enable you and our Product and Engineering teams to rapidly iterate and improve our Partnership products end to end. Your ideas and contributions will be instrumental in delivering exceptional customer experiences, while driving continuous improvement to meet the growing demands of our unique role in the fintech ecosystem.
How you’ll make an impact:
- You will help design our end-to-end user experiences that our user love, and which lead to incredibly high user satisfaction scores and improved conversion rates
- You will leverage user research to drive business decisions and define new features
- You will explore complex, ambiguous problem spaces in the auto industry and collaborate with internal and external teams to wrap your head around customer and business problems
- You will push creative boundaries while simultaneously contributing to our design system
- You will help build and ship a product that is unmatched in usability and function
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 4+ years experience designing and launching high quality digital products
- Strong portfolio showcasing User Centered Design Process and UX skills
- Highly skilled with Figma and similar design tools
- Highly skilled at research and experimentation, and at analyzing data and usage patterns.
- Clear communicator and collaborator who is comfortable giving and taking design feedback, presenting to stakeholders and driving consensus around a common goal
- Preferred qualifications:
- Can successfully run user research studies and translate the learnings into business and / or design decisions
- Capable of diligently navigating the dynamic relationship between user needs and business requirements
- Experience working with engineers in the Agile software development framework
- Skilled at solving design challenges in complex domains like Finance, Healthcare, Education or B2B
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in design-related or engineering-related field
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.