Senior Software Engineer, API Enablement
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s API Enablement team builds and maintains the communication fabric that connects building blocks (aka services) within Upstart and from outside of Upstart in a simple and secure way. Our team’s primary objective is to develop explicit interfaces between all facets of our systems and provide secure access to high quality data allowing product teams to move faster and more securely. Speed, data quality, ease of use, observability, and Security are our guiding principles.
As a Senior Software Engineer on Upstart’s API Enablement team, you are empowered to design and implement robust API solutions via gRPC framework and API Gateway. You will also lead and implement Event Bus, an ecosystem of tools, services, and libraries, that facilitates organizational access to high quality data. We are a small and high impacting team contributing to Upstart’s North Star Architecture and need a product-oriented engineer who is excited to contribute across event bus and API solutions.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus
How you’ll make an impact
- Lead the design and development of scalability solutions using gRPC and API Gateway
- Implementing API Management strategy for all of upstart
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand requirements and bring those insights into building an impactful roadmap for the team
- Establish best practices for API development and event bus across upstart
- Mentor junior engineers and promote a culture of technical excellence
- Contribute to quality improvements within our team in a meaningful way
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of professional experience in building robust API solutions
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong proficiency in one or more programming languages
- Proficiency in automated testing patterns
- Experience in building highly observable systems
- Experience with Kotlin, Python, Ruby, or Typescript
- Experience with Kafka
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for the quality and timely delivery of work
- Ability to thrive both in self-directed work environments and in collaborative settings, contributing positively to team dynamic.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.