Senior Software Engineer, Identity
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Identity team addresses the company’s mission-critical need to ensure appropriate access to resources across increasingly heterogeneous product services and to meet increasingly rigorous compliance requirements. Team provides reusable authentication and authorization frameworks that allow our product teams to move faster and more securely.
We seek a seasoned Senior Software Engineer with a strong background in designing and implementing secure, scalable authentication and authorization services. The ideal candidate will have expertise in OAuth, SAML, multi-factor authentication (MFA), single sign-on (SSO), role and relation-based access control (RBAC/ReBAC), identity federation, and alternative user authentication mechanisms. As the Senior Software Engineer, you will be instrumental in ensuring the development and execution of top-tier identity verification, authentication, and access control solutions for our platforms.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Month/Quarter at the San Mateo, Austin, or Columbus office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Contribute to the roadmap for the IAM solutions that align with company objectives and industry best practices.
- Lead the development and integration of authentication and authorization services.
- Architect and implement secure authentication systems using OAuth, SAML, and other relevant technologies.
- Work closely with product, infosec, operations, and other engineering teams to ensure seamless integration of IAM functionalities
- Collaborate with front-end and back-end developers to create seamless user authentication flows.
- Mentor junior engineers and promote a culture of technical excellence.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in software development with a focus on authentication and authorization.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of authentication standards and frameworks such as OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect, and SAML 2.0.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- Familiarity with modern cloud-based IAM solutions
- Commitment to continuous learning and staying updated with industry advancements
- Experience in API development and Microservices
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.