Staff Data Analyst, Credit Analytics
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Analytics team plays the critical role of providing analytical capability across Upstart's organization to enable data-driven decision making. We leverage our analytical and technical skills to support our partners with a multitude of services, some of which include understanding our underwriting models and presenting on trends in our loan performance, analyzing market size opportunities, creating financial models, developing our business intelligence pipeline to enable self-service reporting, and architecting/automating of work processes.
As a Staff Data Analyst at Upstart, you will join our Credit Analytics horizontal team. You’ll be responsible for driving understanding, insights and decision making relating to our platform level credit performance and development of credit and valuation analytics infrastructure suite. You’ll partner with our Data Analytics vertical teams, Machine Learning, and Product teams to help shape the narrative and deepen our expertise in understanding credit performance across Upstart platform.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote; San Mateo, CA
Travel Requirements - This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 5 days per Month at the San Mateo CA, Columbus OH, or Austin TX office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Influence Upstart’s credit platform and investor/lending community through informing decisions, opportunities, and risks, while supported by deep understanding and insights on Upstart’s model, credit, and valuation
- Lead and develop credit monitoring, model performance, and valuation analytics to conduct in-depth analyses on credit data, trends, and anomalies that drive model and product decisions
- Build foundational forecast models, data pipelines, and automated reporting to enable robust and dynamic credit intelligence for Upstart analyst community
- Partner with the Data Analytics vertical teams, Machine Learning, Product, Engineering, and Finance teams to shape credit metrics and narratives, financial forecast, and driving consensus in the state of Upstart platform
- Mentor junior team members on best practices and foster a center of excellence on data, credit, and analytics
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 5+ years work experience in increasingly senior analytical roles in technology and finance industry
- Experience in credit analytics, valuation, and/or financial analytics development with python, R, GSheet (AppScript), Excel (VBA), SAS
- Experience working with large datasets, data modeling, and data pipelines using tools like Databricks, DBT, Looker, Snowflake, Redshift
- Degree in Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, Data Science or other quantitative fields
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience in coaching and mentoring junior team members on technical subjects
- Ability to craft executive-ready narratives around complex business or performance topics, leveraging visualization and dashboards (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, Looker), and to successfully influence and drive C-level decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and in deep partnership with cross-functional colleagues especially in Finance, Product, Data Engineering, ML teams
- Experience in consumer lending, and/or knowledge of the consumer finance market, capital markets
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.