Legal Counsel, Home Lending
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As the Product and Regulatory Counsel - Home Lending at Upstart, you will play a role in helping develop new products to serve the home lending market and establishing the legal and regulatory framework for Upstart’s home lending platform.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel requirements - This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Quarter at the San Mateo office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Build strong, trusted relationships across the organization;
- Serve as a member of the Home Lending team as we build, launch, and scale new loan products such as HELOCs and eventually purchase loans;
- Provide prompt, proactive, practical legal advice cross functionally on the application of state and federal laws and regulations governing consumer home lending products, including developing legal analyses and requirements documents for new products and features;
- Advise product and engineering team on the design of new consumer product flows;
- Provide advice and guidance on disputes and issues escalated from the Compliance team including, but not limited to, those related to licensing, mortgage advertising, underwriting, disclosures and other consumer facing documents, closing and servicing;
- Analyze new laws and regulations and their applicability to Upstart’s lending platform;
- Advise on internal and external consumer agreements, notices and disclosures;
- Provide support for regulatory examinations, state reporting, and Mortgage Call Reporting; and
- Review internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- J.D. degree with superior academic credentials and a state bar membership;
- At least 3+ years of experience in a top-tier law firm, government, and/or an in-house legal dept with a banking and/or regulatory focus;
- Knowledge of federal and state home lending and consumer protection laws and regulations, including FCRA, ECOA, RESPA, TILA, SAFE Act, and UDAAP.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience working for or with a fintech or proptech company, preferably in a vertically integrated company covering loan origination, title, and real estate.
- Experience supporting home equity and/or non-QM products.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.