Senior Product Manager, Personal Loans
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Personal Loans team maps the future of Upstart’s largest business unit. We work closely with dedicated engineers, designers, and marketers to enable effortless credit based on true risk.
As the Senior Product Manager, you will drive relentless, continuous improvement in our current customer experience and also to conceive our next moonshots. The right candidate for this role should be highly ambitious, able to organize both ideas and people, and excel at problem solving of all kinds. You should have a bias toward action and be able to break down complex problems into steps that drive rapid measurable improvements. We value intellectual honesty and take a clear-eyed, analytical approach to product enhancements. You should have a creative streak to see through the unstated assumptions that continue to make lending so much more daunting and expensive than it ought to be.
- Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA, and Columbus, OH.
- Time Zone Requirements - This team operates in all US time zones.
- Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per quarter at our San Mateo or Columbus office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact
- Identify market opportunities and define product vision and strategy for Upstart’s core customer.
- Scrutinize the performance of our current application and identify ways to improve the experience.
- Manage KPIs and goal-setting for Personal Loans’ ongoing operations
- Understand customer needs thoroughly; gather product requirements through quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Engage closely with the engineering team to help determine the best technical implementation methods as well as a reasonable implementation schedule.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 4-10 years of product management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment, and to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends; excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Passion and aptitude for credit and financing-related economic concepts.
- Track record of building a successful product testing paradigm. The ideal candidate has already run dozens of A/B tests and is comfortable leading the creation of an experimental backlog.
- Experience bringing teams together using Agile development methodology.
- Knowledge of multiple functional areas such as Product Management, Engineering, UX/UI, Sales Customer Support, Finance or Marketing; understanding of full funnel conversion best practices (e.g. distribution strategies, funnel conversion, operational go-to-market).
- Experience building online finance products, and/or knowledge of the consumer finance market.
- MBA preferred
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.