Human Resource Director
About JumpStart Inc.
JumpStart is a non-profit venture development organization whose mission is to unlock the full potential of entrepreneurship to transform entire communities. Our visionis to collaborate with partners to generate dramatically improved and inclusive economic outcomes by supporting diverse entrepreneurs, optimizing entrepreneurial ecosystems, and accelerating innovation.
The key to JumpStart's success is its ability to leverage its inspired team's skills, experience, and creativity to transform entrepreneurial aspirations into actions with measurable impact. In addition, JumpStart associates take great pride in making JumpStart a highly demanding yet incredibly fun workplace.
The Human Resource Director is responsible for collaborating and spearheading critical aspects of the Human Resources function. Including but not limited to performance management, learning and development, team member relations and culture, and talent management, while also playing a leading role alongside the Chief People and Culture Officer, also referred to as (CPCO) to ensure all aspects of compensation, benefits, and payroll are embedded throughout the organization. The Human Resource Director's responsibility is to guarantee our team members have the support they need to live up to JumpStart's core values.
Success will be measured on both a long-term and short-term basis and will include metrics in a variety of areas including, but not limited to: achievement of compliance and DEI training, maintaining stable retention levels; building a robust pipeline of diverse talent; increasing staff and manager accountability for performance; and maintaining a high level of team engagement.
Essential Job Functions
30% – Performance Management
• Manage the performance management philosophy and approach, ensuring resources are being managed and utilized accordingly and timely and appropriate feedback is provided
• Evaluate and implement appropriate performance management system(s) in support of organizational processes
• Lead and oversee goal-setting and performance review processes, providing appropriate coaching to managers and team members on an ongoing basis
• Develop and manage Individual Development Plans (IDP) and Performance Improvement Plans (PIP), as needed, to assist in the development of team members
• Ensure appropriate accountability and a high-performing team by working with managers to ensure ever-improving accountability structures
25% – Learning and Development
- Assess overall training and development needs of the organization and develop a strategy and execution plan, as well as layout the mix of internal and external resources required for delivery
- Create and coordinate training sessions and learning agendas for team members and departments
· Collaborate with Senior Associate, Human Resources to coordinate onboarding activities, such as facilitating introduction sessions and ensuring training content is up to date
- Develops the creation, implementation, and effectiveness of an e-learning curriculum
25% – Team Member Relations and Culture
• Spearhead JumpStart's strategy for positive team member relations. Leveraging change management, lead the development and implementation of proactive programs designed to prevent and address workplace issues/concerns and reinforce JumpStart's core values.
• Maintain a pulse on the organization to anticipate, detect and manage employee complaints, disputes, and grievances.
• Serve as HR's primary lead for team member relations issues and concerns, including investigations of those raised via the Company hotline. Investigate factors that are adversely affecting performance, morale, and productivity. Advise and partner with CPCO on urgent team member relations issues.
• Provide support to help guide staff through organizational changes
• Interface directly with the Chief People and Culture Officer, Chief Operations and Relationship Officer, Chief Inclusion and Outreach Officer, and other senior leaders and managers to ensure JumpStart maintains its program commitment to diversity.
• Assist with creating and implementing a vision for inclusive communications, staff engagement, and recognition in an increasingly decentralized and virtual organization.
• Develop team member relations analytics and dashboard - identifying and reporting on data, patterns, and conclusions which lead to action plans for supporting JumpStart's culture.
• Act as a steward for the JumpStart organizational culture, ensuring corporate policies, procedures, and behaviors live up to the cultural goals and values. Lead ongoing activities within JumpStart to enhance understanding and application of these values.
• Act as a trusted advisor to team members and leadership concerning broader culture or other systemic issues.
• Make recommendations and execute programs or processes assisting in shaping the health of the organization (i.e., team-building activities, events, employee engagement surveys, etc.).
10% – Compliance Management
- Co-develop and evolve all policies, procedures, and handbook content on an as-needed regular basis.
- Create and maintain relevant job descriptions and organizational charts and assist with overseeing the selection process for all internal and external hiring.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations, partnering with general and employment counsel as needed.
- Provide oversight of worker immigration practices and tactical execution for ongoing and future case management
- Create and foster a proactive and all-encompassing safety program
5% –Talent Management
- Manage the exit process, including exit interviews.
· Contribute to and support organization-wide strategic talent initiatives.
- Build and cultivate a pipeline of the best and most diverse talent available, ensuring operational best practices and positioning JumpStart as an employer of choice through awareness of patterns and trends within the non-profit, inclusive entrepreneurship, and venture investing fields.
5% – Compensation, Benefits, Payroll, and Compliance/Employee Relations
· Partner with CPCO on using relevant market data to benchmark employee compensation and benefits, making recommendations to ensure equity and competitiveness
· Collaborate with Senior Associate, Human Resources to ensure payroll and benefits programs, practices, and policies are effective, consistent, and executed in line with the organization's mission, goals, and operational guidelines.
Decision Making Responsibility
Collaborate with the Chief People and Culture Officer and other managers to implement broad, specific decisions that may influence the organization's culture and operations.
· Senior Associate, Human Resources
· Sr. Manager, Talent Recruitment
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
· Normal office demands. Travel up to 10%
· Normal professional office environment
· Eligible for hybrid work agreement
Education, Training, or Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Labor relations, Human Resources, or a related field
- 10+ years of relevant HR experience
- 5+ years serving as the main point of contact on HR matters for an organization or line of business.
- 5+ years of talent management experience
- Experience creating and finalizing handbooks and building ad-hoc policies and procedures.
- Hands-on experience in diversity and inclusion, supplier or workforce diversity, is strongly preferred.
- Experience managing multiple projects and gaining buy-in and support from various stakeholders under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment
- Proven history of providing complex problem-resolution expertise to employee relations matters
- Knowledge of implementing learning and development training for individual contributors and people managers
- Track record of leading the goal-setting process across a line of business or an organization
- Knowledge and experience applying state and federal employment regulations
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Stellar interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Ability to influence senior management, establish and maintain collaborative partnerships and provide thought leadership
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships, internal and external to the organization
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- MBA or Master's in Human Resources Management or Labor Relations
- 12+ years of relevant HR experience
- 8+ years of experience leading and developing a team of Human Resources professionals.
- 8+ years of talent management experience
- Preference for individuals with experience in a start-up, small business, or high-growth environment
JumpStart's Core Values and Key Cultural Behaviors
· Accountability: Act to deliver on commitments and generate results, and if expectations aren't clear, ask
· Entrepreneurial: Embrace opportunity, continuous improvement, and change, and contribute to the solution as we evolve
· Equity: Committed to corrective action regarding historically underserved and underrepresented populations through entrepreneurship and innovation
· Energy: Address our work with focus, grit, and enthusiasm
· Collaboration: Collaborate with others to play our most helpful role(s) and to increase the effectiveness
· Humility: Balance self-assurance with listening to understand, having an open mind, and demonstrating patience
JumpStart's Definitions for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
· Diversity: A measure of psychological, demographic, physical, and social differences occurring among any and all individuals in a specific group, including but not limited to racial identity, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, culture, developmental ability, and learning styles.
· Inclusion: The act of promoting and maintaining an environment in which diverse groups of individuals are welcomed, respected, supported, valued, and empowered. An environment prioritizing differences and offers respect and acceptance in all people's words/actions/thoughts.
· Equity: An acknowledgment and understanding there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations and corrective action regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to eliminate barriers and guarantee equality in providing fair treatment, access opportunity, and advancement in providing effective opportunities to all groups.
· Emphasis Statement: Historically, African Americans, Latinx people, and women have been economically disenfranchised and disconnected from innovation and entrepreneurship. For these reasons, we emphasize these populations as we work to diversify our culture and be inclusive in our daily interactions and decisions.
JumpStart's Operating Style: JumpStart team members are expected to be:
· Honest: We speak the truth, plainly and simply, kindly and considerately. We will challenge you as we seek to accomplish great things. And we hope you will do the same with us.
· Responsive: We respond rapidly to your inquiries and actively communicate so we are all on the same page.
· Resourceful: We will be creative and efficient in helping you to access relationships, contacts and other resources to help you succeed.
· Insightful: We will provide the knowledge and insight about entrepreneurship and innovation you aren't able to easily get from others
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of JumpStart. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder's responsibility.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. JumpStart Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers competitive salary & comprehensive benefits (medical, vision, 401k, paid vacation).