CURRENT ROOT EMPLOYEES - Please apply using the career page in Workday. This career site is for external applicants only.
Root is looking for a Reinsurance Accountant who is a self-starter, process driven and has a strong background in complex accounting transactions and reconciliations. As an Accountant, you’ll partner with Accounting and across the organization, to perform account analysis, reconcile large transactions, and work with the team to identify, document and implement process improvements and key controls. In addition, you will own several complex accounting transactions, and statutory reporting requirements. The right candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced accounting space, with a high emphasis on accountability and be objectively logical and passionate about digging into the details.
Root is a “work where it works best” company. Meaning we will support you working in
whatever location that works best for you across the US. We will continue to have our
headquarters in Columbus and offices in other locations to give more flexibility and
more choice about how we live and work.
How you will make an impact:
- Prepares journal entries for a rotating set of processes, including reinsurance and various cash-related items.
- Prepares reconciliations for accounts subject to journal entries prepared.
- Own several month-end accounting transactions and processes.
- Assists in the preparation of quarterly and annual statutory accounting statements.
- Assists in the filing of various state filings on an annual basis.
- Continually develop, expand, and improve month-end close and financial reporting procedures by assessing and streamlining close-related activities to drive the reduction of the close timeline.
- Identify and document Key controls.
- Assist in the completion of reinsurance reports for brokers, management, and reinsurers.
- Own relationships with third party brokers and reinsurers relating to accounts mentioned above.
- Various ad hoc projects as needed.
What you will need to succeed:
- 1-4 years of relevant accounting and/or finance experience; exposure to property and casualty insurance accounting and/or reinsurance reporting is a plus.
- GAAP & statutory insurance accounting knowledge.
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Office products and data analytic tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to tailor it to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Approaches problems with an open mind and is curious in nature.
- Great attention to detail.
- Self-starter, with strong interpersonal, teamwork, and analytical
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Root, Inc., we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.