Lead Security Engineer
CURRENT ROOT EMPLOYEES - Please apply using the career page in Workday. This career site is for external applicants only.
Root is changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build
the best products possible, and the information security team at Root is a key contributor to that effort. Teams are given ownership over projects and results, as we’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. Root is also a “work where it works best” company, and we will support you working in whatever location works best for you across the US.
Root’s Information Security team is dedicated to managing information security risk within the organization, while enabling development and product teams to do their cutting-edge work, and we’re looking for a Lead Security Engineer to join us. In this role, you’ll be a key contributor to maturing Root’s security capabilities, influencing our approach to securing our most critical assets and protecting our customers.
How You Will Make an Impact
● At least five years of experience in application or infrastructure security, security engineering, or similar information-security focused roles, with a background in software development or infrastructure engineering.
● In-depth experience with common and emerging information security threats, vulnerabilities, and mitigations for modern cloud infrastructure stacks.
● Proficiency in identifying and quantifying gaps, communicating issues, and developing solutions that demonstrate risk reduction and drive security improvements.
● Experience leading cross-functional and collaborative risk mitigation efforts, working with product and engineering teams.
● Demonstrable experience with public clouds such as AWS, GCP, or Azure, as well as infrastructure as code solutions such as Terraform, CloudFormation or Cloud Deployment Manager.
● Experience coaching and mentoring security engineers and developers.
● Familiarity with cloud infrastructure security-related compliance requirements and
standards/frameworks such as PCI, SOC 2, OWASP, and NIST.
What You Will Need to Succeed
● You will enable and empower Root engineers and product teams to design, build and operate software and infrastructure that is secure by default.
● You will participate and lead threat modeling, security reviews, and design
critiques, to identify risk and assist product and engineering team members in improving overall product security.
● You will develop scalable solutions to improve Root’s security posture as it relates to cloud infrastructure security.
● You will be the domain expert in infrastructure security areas and can provide regular insight to product and design leads that are working within these areas
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Root, Inc., we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. If you are passionate about what this role entails and solving real problems, we encourage you to apply. We want to learn about you and what you can add to our team.
Who we are
We’re harnessing the power of technology to revolutionize insurance. Using machine learning and mobile telematic platforms, we’ve built one of the most innovative FinTech companies in the world. And we’re just getting started.
What draws people to Root
Our success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our products are only as good as the people building and promoting them. We want individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and an analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy—for assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact—by challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration—we encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People—we are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.