Full Stack Software Engineer, Servicing Engineering
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart has experienced remarkable growth in recent years, successfully processing billions of dollars in loans every quarter. The Servicing Engineering team plays a crucial role in managing these loans smoothly, maximizing collections, and building strong customer relationships. Our primary focus is to build a loan servicing platform and automate business processes while enhancing efficiency, and providing an intuitive user experience for both our borrowers and internal teams through the use of data analytics, machine learning, and automation.
As a Software Engineer on our Servicing Engineering team, you’ll work closely with cross-functional partners to identify areas for improvement, automate repetitive tasks, and implement scalable solutions. By optimizing workflows, integrating systems, and leveraging technology, we empower our servicing partners to prioritize high-value activities and deliver exceptional service to our customers. Your contributions will be instrumental in delivering exceptional customer experiences, while driving continuous improvement in our servicing capabilities to meet the growing demands of our unique role in the fintech ecosystem.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all U.S. time zones
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per quarter at an Upstart office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses
How you’ll make an impact:
- Work within all areas of the platform from our web interfaces and 3rd party API integrations to backend business logic
- Move quickly to drive both existing and greenfield projects forward, while always keeping our end users in mind
- Make architectural contributions and decisions to improve the reliability of our software and maintainability of our code base
- Help us build our engineering team and make Upstart a genuinely awesome place to work
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 4+ years of experience developing full stack web applications professionally
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages
- Solid grasp of software development principles and best practices for creating scalable and maintainable systems
- Proven ability to effectively analyze and solve complex problems
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience with designing, developing, and deploying microservices-based applications.
- Prior experience or demonstrated enthusiasm for working on internal tools
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for the quality and timely delivery of work.
- Demonstrated ability to take feedback well and actively incorporate it into work, showing a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve.
- Ability to thrive both in self-directed work environments and in collaborative settings, contributing positively to team dynamics.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and React or NextJS
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
#LI-Associate --> use for L3, L4
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.