Senior Financial Analyst, Auto
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The FP&A team at Upstart plays an integral part in the company’s business and financial planning process. We are looking for a highly motivated and hard-working individual to join our team to provide operational and strategic decision-making support to our Auto business as we scale our Auto Retail and Auto Refinance products.
As a Senior Financial Analyst at Upstart, you will drive and support all aspects of FP&A which includes in-depth financial and business planning, collaborating with business leaders across the company, and driving analyses for business and strategic cases. Through your efforts, we’ll be able to ensure the Upstart leadership team stays on top of our financial performance and risks. If you are naturally curious, love data, versed in financial modeling and analysis, and are an excellent communicator who enjoys collaborating with people with a diverse set of talents, this could be a great opportunity for you.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, USA
Travel Requirements - This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 4 days per Month if you are in San Mateo, or 2-3 consecutive days per Quarter at either the San Mateo or Columbus office if you are remote. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Finance partner to the Auto team, leading the forecast and planning cycles with key business partners as well as overseeing other opex functions
- End to end ownership of the Auto P&L model for revenue, margin, and expenses, driving financial accountability and transparency
- Manage operating expense budgets, working closely with department team leads to set, monitor, and manage budget
- Partner and collaborate with leadership team in planning strategic direction across the Auto Retail and Auto Refinance products, operations, sales and marketing
- Support financial analysis for new product and pricing initiatives and build key metrics analysis
- Create reports and dashboards in BI tools such as Looker to monitor financial trends and relevant metrics and report on key insights
- Support month-end and quarter-end processes, working closely with Accounting to understand key variances, summarize and present the results to the Finance Leadership
- Prepare executive summaries with monthly results and key stats and communicate findings of monthly budget analysis to functional leadership
- Support key corporate financial deliverables as needed, such as earnings preparation and monthly business reviews
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
BS/MS Degree in Economics, Finance, Computer Science, Statistics or equivalent practical experience
Minimum of 5 years of relevant FP&A experiences
Highly competent in Excel and/or Google Sheets: excellent modeling skills and ability to perform complex analyses with big data sets required
Proven track record in demonstrating well-developed strategic, analytical, interpersonal, organizational and communications skills
Excellent presentation skills and comfort in communicating with multiple levels of leadership
Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
Organized and proven ability to juggle multiple tasks while still meeting deadline
- Preferred qualifications:
Experience with NetSuite
Experience with BI/reporting tools such as Looker or Tableau
Experience with advanced data analytics tools such as SQL, Python or R
Previous consumer marketplace lending industry experience
Previous SaaS experience
Previous Accounting Experience
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within this range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k). Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. The salary listed below for sales roles is On Target Earnings which includes both salary and commission, assuming 100% target achievement.
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.