Principal Product Manager, Machine Learning
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
This team is dedicated to improving Upstart’s machine learning advantage as we continue to expand our offerings to include automobile refinancing, home equity lending, and more. Our ML product team works closely with our machine learning and engineering teams to design, develop, and improve on machine learning applications across the entire Upstart business, from user acquisition to assessing credit risk, from fraud detection to improving operational workflows.
As the Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning at Upstart, you will help us achieve our mission of enabling effortless credit based on true risk. In this role, you will work closely with our machine learning and engineering teams to design, develop, and improve on machine learning applications for assessing and measuring credit risk, across all lending products. You will build data integrations, identify new features, and ship products that enable Upstart to further improve its machine learning advantage, and thereby accelerate its core mission of delivering increasing value to borrowers over time.
One of the reasons Upstart has experienced such rapid growth is because of the clear-eyed, analytical approach we take to product enhancements. The right candidate for this role should be highly ambitious, able to organize both ideas and people, and excel at problem solving of all kinds. You should have a bias toward action and be able to break down complex problems into steps that drive rapid product development. You will bridge the technical and business worlds as you first design services that our customers love and then engage stakeholders to make them a reality. By clearly defining requirements and removing blockers, you will act as a multiplier on the productivity of your team.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements -This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per three months at the San Mateo or Columbus office.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Conduct user research and manage stakeholders to drive consensus
- Write detailed requirements; manage agile processes to ensure consistent execution and accurate timelines
- Identify new opportunities to improve the accuracy and speed of credit underwriting decisions
- Make smart trade-offs to inform the ongoing product roadmap, prioritizing the features with the highest ROI and experimenting when necessary
- Demonstrate and encourage best practices in product management by working with other PMs throughout the company
What we’re looking for:
- BA/BS in Economics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5-7 years of product management experience.
- Knowledge of machine learning workflows (e.g. model training, online inference, feature management, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment, and to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends; excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Passion and aptitude for credit and financing-related economic concepts.
- Experience bringing teams together using Agile development methodology
- Experience building products that serve technical users (e.g. software developers, machine learning researchers, data scientists) -- and a deep understanding of their needs and pain points
- Experience working with a machine learning team to ship models into production.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.