Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer, you will own the availability, reliability, and performance of Upstart’s production systems. You will lead the way in building tooling and automation to monitor the health of our infrastructure and create a fast, reliable, and productive environment for other engineers and a world-class experience for our customers. You'll have wide latitude in technology options and define our strategy for technology operations risk mitigation, which includes disaster planning and on-call procedures. To drive all of these initiatives you will be expected to use a data-driven approach and provide reports to the business to improve visibility into the system and customer experience.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA, Columbus, OH, and Austin, TX
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3 days per Month/Quarter at various locations in the US. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Develop and maintain automation tools to streamline service operations across the company.
- Build infrastructure and define standards for monitoring microservices in a fast paced environment.
- Review and provide feedback on system architecture to ensure it meets SRE best practices.
- Define and evangelize incident response and postmortem guidelines
- Lead incident response efforts during critical outages, troubleshoot issues, and coordinate with various teams for resolution.
- Design and implement disaster recovery strategies and redundancy measures to minimize impact of potential failures.
- Define, track, and analyze SLOs and SLIs to measure system reliability and performance.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, ownership, and responsibility around service reliability.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 7+ years of experience in a site reliability engineer, DevOps, or software engineering role
- Good knowledge of fundamental SRE guidelines and strategies
- Comfortable working in high-security / high-compliance environments, such as finance or healthcare
- Experience working in a cloud environment (AWS preferred).
- Experience responding to incidents and bringing them to resolution.
- Good knowledge of fundamental AWS building blocks (EC2, S3, RDS, IAM, VPC, Cloudformation)
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes / Openshift
- Programming experience in any major programming language. Ruby on Rails experience is a plus.
- Strong documentation skills and a desire to spread knowledge (Runbooks, SOPs, Recorded Training Sessions)
- Strong reporting and visualization skills
- Strong communication skills
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience breaking a monolith architecture into microservices.
- Experience working in high-security / high-compliance environments, such as finance or healthcare
- Experience with tools like DataDog and PagerDuty
- System administration experience.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.