Lead Product Counsel, Auto Lending
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s legal team is looking for an experienced product and regulatory attorney to join our team as a subject matter expert on auto lending laws and regulations.
Acting as lead counsel for the Auto Lending business vertical, you will play a key role in helping develop new products to serve the auto lending market and establishing the legal and regulatory framework for Upstart’s auto lending platform.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur up to 4 days per Month at the San Mateo, CA or Columbus, OH office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Build strong, trusted relationships within the automotive lending team and across the organization;
- Serve as a core member on the automotive refinance and automotive retail leadership team as we build, launch, scale, and service consumer financial products such as automotive refinance loans and retail installment contracts;
- Provide proactive and practical legal advice cross functionally on the application of state and federal laws and regulations governing various consumer financial products offered via Upstart’s platform, including developing legal analyses and requirements documents for new products and features;
- Advise product and engineering teams on the design of new consumer product flows for online and in-store customer experiences;
- Provide guidance on disputes and issues escalated from the Compliance team, such as those related to marketing, underwriting, and servicing;
- Provide legal advice for automotive servicing and promote consistent servicing policies for all products offered across the organization; and
- Monitor industry specific regulations and legal issues to advise internal stakeholders on appropriate legal strategies to keep Upstart's products compliant with all applicable laws.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- J.D. degree with superior academic credentials and a state bar membership;
- At least 6+ years of experience in a top-tier law firm, government, and/or an in-house legal department, with with at least 3-4 years experience in automotive lending and servicing;
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state automotive lending and consumer protection laws and regulations, including FCRA, TILA, GLBA, UDAAP, EFTA, and ESIGN.
- Experience with automotive refinance products, retail installment contracts, and automotive dealerships.
- Background with automotive servicing with an emphasis on bankruptcy, automotive titling/liens, and repossessions.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Knowledge of technology platforms that automotive dealerships use to provide products to consumers.
- Strong communication skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide quick, concise, and practical legal advice; and
- Excellent judgment with demonstrated decision-making capability while dealing with legal, regulatory and business issues involving competing interests.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.