Identity Theft Specialist
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart has experienced tremendous growth over the past two years and while we have strong fraud prevention tools in place there are still bad actors that are able to obtain a loan or claim ID theft as a means to absolve their debt obligations. Identity theft is a sensitive and complex area that requires additional focus and specialization. We are looking to grow the team to help handle the increased volume and build out the program as Upstart continues to grow.
As an ID Theft Specialist at Upstart, you will communicate directly with claimants, gather and review claim documents and loan application information, and work cross functionally with servicing and legal/compliance to investigate and process identity theft claims.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Travel Requirements - As a digital first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. The majority of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular onsites. The in-person sessions’ cadence varies depending on the team and role; most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time. If required to travel, Upstart will cover all expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Communicate with claimants via phone, email, and mail regarding new and ongoing identity theft claims
- Compile and process documents and review loan application details to support claim investigations
- Complete thorough investigation of identity theft claims and document findings and conclusions
- Work cross functionally with servicing and legal/compliance to process identity theft claims and work to improve and scale the program
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 12+ months experience handling claims/disputes
- 6+ months experience communicating directly with claimant (written or telephonic)
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- Preferred qualifications:
- Associates/Bachelors Degree or Equivalent Work Experience
- Identity Theft investigation experience
- Fraud claims/investigation experience
- Data analytics experience
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
This is a Non-Exempt position. Employees in this position are paid an hourly pay rate, on a bi-weekly basis, and are eligible to receive overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 in a work week, or over 8 in a work day if required by state law.
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated annualized base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.