Senior Software Engineering Manager, Compute & Infrastructure
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As the Senior Engineering Manager of the Cloud Compute & Infrastructure team at Upstart, you will lead our team of talented engineers and drive the design, development, and management of our cloud infrastructure and services.
The C&I team builds the core building blocks for AWS compute and infrastructure, ensuring AWS’s “6 Pillars of the Well-Architected Framework”. We provide secure, scalable, monitored, reliable, and cost-efficient solutions for product teams. The C&I team also owns the Kubernetes clusters in AWS, along with their networking resources.
This role will be at the forefront of Upstart’s efforts to scale cloud compute services and infrastructure for our growing needs. With a keen understanding of the latest cloud trends and a commitment to achieve operational excellence and strategic vision, you will harness the power of the cloud to propel our business forward and empower the team to reach new heights.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all US time zones
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3-4 days per Quarter at one of our office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead, mentor, and manage a team of engineers, ensuring continuous team growth and individual development
- Craft compute and infrastructure strategy, ensuring alignment with overall business objectives
- Oversee the design and implementation of cloud architectures that support current and future organizational needs
- Champion the security and regulatory compliance of the infrastructure, collaborating closely with internal security teams
- Manage compute and infrastructure costs, ensuring optimal ROI
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field
- 8 years of experience in cloud engineering, with at least 3 years in a managerial role
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation
- Strong knowledge of major cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, or GCP
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor teams
- Preferred qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field
- Cloud Platform certifications like AWS Certified Solutions Architect or GCP Cloud Architect
- Proficiency in cloud security standards, cost management and best practices
- Knowledge of multi-cloud strategies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.