Senior Technical Program Manager, IT & InfoSec
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As a Senior Technical Program Manager within Upstart’s Information Technology and Security team, you’ll lead IT and InfoSec projects and influence teams that build, develop, architect, maintain, and improve the internal systems and applications that the company uses to do their job efficiently. You will partner with IT and InfoSec leads to establish roadmaps, lead planning efforts, and create and track towards success metrics. You’ll work across several teams on some of the most complex and critical projects at the company to help increase the maturity of our IT and Security programs. To do this, you’ll gather requirements, define milestones, identify risks, manage schedules, and communicate clearly with project stakeholders.
One of the reasons Upstart has experienced such rapid growth is because of the clear-eyed, analytical approach we take to solving problems. The right candidate for this role should be highly ambitious, be able to organize both ideas and people, and excel at problem-solving of all kinds. You should have a bias towards action and be able to break down complex problems into steps that drive rapid product development.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all U.S. time zones
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3-4 days per Quarter at one of our office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Partner with internal business leaders to drive program planning and execution, actively managing program risks/issues and communicating status objectively to all stakeholders
- Define and lead execution strategy for multiple areas of IT and Information Security
- Understand strategic partners' objectives and advise on the necessary programs to succeed while developing roadmaps or framework for those programs.
- Align cross-functional teams on priorities and success goals, bringing teams together to achieve strategic objectives
- Juggling competing priorities, handling ambiguity, and diving deep to understand diverse product portfolios and customer requirements
- Help us build our IT and Information Security teams and make Upstart a genuinely awesome place to work
- Drive operational excellence programs that help ensure Upstart’s employees love the tools and systems they use to do their job efficiently
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 5+ years of experience as an IT or InfoSec project/program manager working on cross-functional efforts
- Experience in leading projects that span multiple teams with end-to-end ownership and knowledge of Technical Program Management tools
- Ability to exercise technical judgment in solving IT and InfoSec challenges involving vulnerability management, security incident response, identity and access management etc.
- Ability to influence a highly integrated team composed of both technical and non-technical members
- Ability to discern short-term vs long-term roadmaps and the conflict/impact of each
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with senior leaders across a large enterprise
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience at a growth-stage company or tech company
- Ability to break down a product or feature into the technical teams and systems involved and their dependencies
- Proven track record of delivering results in large, cross-functional software initiatives
- Gets excited when presented with a challenging problem to solve
- Desire to succeed as part of a team
- Knowledge of Jira and Confluence tools
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.