Full Stack Software Engineer, Lending Partnerships
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Lending Partnerships Engineering team is responsible for implementing and maintaining the core functionality and services associated with enabling lenders to partner with Upstart. Lending Partnerships provides a white label lending-as-a-service platform for banks and credit unions to quickly launch and easily manage their own online unsecured installment lending program.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer in Lending Partnerships at Upstart, you will be part of the team responsible for the configuration of our lending programs, the enablement of products in conjunction with our lending partners, and how those configurations change the borrower’s experience. This role will be central to much of what Upstart as a business does and work closely with other engineering teams to further our value proposition to our Lending Partners. You’ll also help improve our forward-facing loan performance platform as we continue to build out additional features.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur X days per Month/Quarter at the Y office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Work within owned areas of our platform from the web application and API integrations to backend business logic and forward-facing performance console in Ruby on Rails, React, Kotlin, and more.
- Move quickly to drive both existing and greenfield projects forward, while always keeping our customers and lending partners in mind to ensure that they have a seamless experience.
- Work with business stakeholders to onboard new lending partners as needed.
- Make architectural contributions and impactful decisions to improve the reliability of our software and maintainability of our code base.
- Help drive team discussions in scoping and estimating.
- Attend SCRUM-like meetings and other team-building exercises to help drive the growth of the team as a whole.
- 5+ Years of experience developing web applications, with a strong understanding of full-stack architecture.
- Comfortable with Ruby on Rails, and proficiency with one or more programming languages.
- Solid grasp of software development principles and best practices for creating scalable and maintainable systems.
- Capable of executing on medium sized projects with minimal guidance and can contribute to large projects with initial input from others.
- Able to work with shifting priorities with minimal downtime.
- Proficiency in React, Ruby on Rails, Kotlin, SQL, Okta/SSO, and NextJS
- Experience with designing, developing, and deploying microservice-based applications.
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for the quality and timely delivery of work.
- Demonstrated ability to take feedback well and actively incorporate it into work, showing a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve.
- Proven ability to effectively analyze and solve complex problems and a strong debugging skillset.
- Ability to thrive both in self-directed work environments and in collaborative settings, contributing positively to team dynamics.
- A strong communicator who is able to clarify requirements, is task-oriented, and can be an example to other team members.
- Some familiarity with Sumologic, Bugsnag, and Datadog
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.