Staff Data Analyst, Operations Analytics
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Operations Analytics team plays a critical role of providing analytical capability for Upstart's operations and servicing functions to enable data-driven decision making. We leverage our analytical and technical skills to support our partners with a multitude of services.
As the Staff Analyst, Operations Analytics at Upstart, you will contribute to understanding and driving best practices in onboarding, servicing and collections, presenting on trends in our loan portfolio performance, operations efficiency and customer experience, leading experiment set up and analysis for product improvements, and developing our business intelligence pipeline to enable better decision making. You’ll be responsible for driving understanding, insights and decision making with our Operations, Product, Machine Learning, Engineering and Legal & Compliance teams to take advantage of our unique technology to achieve their business goals.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, USA
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur at most 2-3 consecutive days, once per month in either San Mateo, CA, or Columbus, OH. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead and develop analytical capabilities and drive in-depth analyses on servicing and operations, including loss mitigation, fraud prevention, customer experience, and operations efficiency, etc.
- Collaborate with Product and Operations leaders to shape product, process and tech roadmaps, administer A/B tests, monitor results and generate data driven recommendations
- Build data and analytical foundation for servicing and operations, including data pipelines, automated reporting and A/B testing infrastructure, along with product and engineering teams
- Mentor junior team members on best practices and foster a center of excellence on data, analytics and operations
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 5+ years work experience in increasingly senior analytical roles in technology and finance industry
- Experience in credit, product or operations analytics, proficient in Python / R, GSheet / Excel, SQL
- Experience working with large datasets, data modeling, and data pipelines using tools like Databricks, DBT, Looker, Snowflake, Redshift, Tableau, Mode
- Experience deriving actionable insights from analysis and analytical storytelling
- Degree in Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, Data Science or other quantitative fields
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience in coaching and mentoring junior team members on technical subjects
- Strong experience conducting and evaluating A/B tests, ideally in Financial and/or Operational related fields
- Ability to craft executive-ready narratives around complex business or operational topics and successfully influence VP+ decision making
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and in deep partnership with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple workstreams and priorities; experience influencing up and cross functionally to maximize positive impact to the organization
- Experience in consumer lending, and knowledge of pre and post origination operations
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.