Principal Software Engineer, Machine Learning (C++)
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Machine Learning team has a direct impact on our company's success. The team consists of full-stack applied science generalists as well as specialists in research, data science, statistical modeling and machine learning. The fundamental goal of the Machine Learning team is to explore new models and new data sets that can improve the accuracy of our models. With this goal comes near-limitless challenges to tackle, and that is one of the reasons why Upstart is such a unique opportunity.
As Principal Software Engineer at Upstart, you will be at the forefront of a team of top-notch specialists, using your C++ skills to optimize cutting-edge machine learning frameworks, employing GPU-accelerated computing, and mastering cloud and Linux infrastructure.
Position location This role is available in the following locations: Remote
Time zone requirements The team operates on the East/West coast time zones.
Travel requirements As a digital first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. The majority of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular onsites. The in-person sessions’ cadence varies depending on the team and role; most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Deep Optimization: Dive into the C++ code which powers these ML models. You will use your expertise to push the boundaries of these models and extract their maximum potential.
- GPU and CUDA: Harness the raw power of GPUs using CUDA to supercharge your machine learning models, creating solutions that are not just efficient, but also blazing fast.
- Cloud and Linux: Leverage your solid understanding of cloud infrastructures and Linux to build robust, scalable, and highly available machine learning solutions
- Data Formats: Look into the finer details of data formats. Your work will ensure the accuracy, efficiency, and quality of the data that feeds into our machine learning models.
- Strong software skills in C++, and multiple languages such as Java, Kotlin, Python.
- Profound knowledge of the entire tech stack, inclusive of computer science fundamentals and in-depth understanding of various operating systems and hardware configurations.
- High degree of cross-functional expertise, with the ability to navigate between various roles within the tech stack.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Deep systems C++ expertise.
- Experience with machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.
- Deep knowledge in using GPUs for computation, including a strong understanding of CUDA.
- Extensive experience with cloud and Linux infrastructures
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.