Senior Software Engineer, Mobile
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Mobile team is focused on delivering Upstart’s best experience for new and existing users. We recently launched our iOS app and are looking to expand into Android as well. With our initial iOS release we have only scratched the surface of what we want to build and have a large roadmap to deliver our vision. We want to invest in features where a native app can vastly outperform our web experiences and we need talented & creative engineers to make that happen!
As a Senior Software Engineer on Upstart’s mobile team, you will have an opportunity to make an outsized impact for the company. We are a small team that is looking to grow aggressively next year and we need someone who will help us set up the right foundations within and outside the team so the app can scale. This will involve driving the technical vision of how we build features across our apps, as well as defining how other teams will work with us. We expect our number of features to grow significantly next year, and need a product-oriented engineer who is excited to work across the stack to make things happen.
How you’ll make an impact
- Set up the technical foundation for the company on how to successfully build mobile app features
- Propose and deliver new ideas that achieve meaningful improvements to our app’s success metrics
- Know the product as well as the EM and PM and contribute to the product vision/strategy
- Lead successful projects that involve working across the stack as well and with close cross-team collaboration
- Proactively seek out ways to expand impact that extends well beyond the team’s scope
- Turn team-specific projects into opportunities to up-level the team and the org’s tech platform
- Contribute to quality improvements within our team in a meaningful way
- 7+ years of professional development experience, mostly focused on fullstack work
- 3+ years of experience with mobile app development (Android, iOS, React Native, etc.)
- 3+ years of React Native or React experience
- Passionate about product development and creating high quality mobile experiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- End-to-end ownership. Comfortable fully owning your features and contributing everywhere in the stack to implement them
- Strives in a collaborative environment. We’re a lean team of remote workers and are constantly collaborating in a tight feedback loop. We are flexible to contribute where there is a need, and are able to have open discussions about technical and product direction
- Hands on experience with any or all of the following: React Native, Ruby, Kotlin, GRPC, PostgreSQL
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.