Data Platform Engineer
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Data Engineering team (Part of Upstart's core platform vertical) provides developer tools, frameworks, and scalable data infrastructure as shared services across Upstart. The team's primary objective is to provide Data Analysts, Software Engineers, and ML scientists access to high-quality data and developer tools to create business metrics for respective product verticals,
You will join the subdivision focusing on Data Capture.
As the Data Platform Engineer on the Data Capture team, you will get the opportunity to contribute to 3 areas:
- Expand the existing developer tools that capture business events, operational data and third party data into the Lakehouse.
- Expand the self-serve and orchestration framework that developers use to build pipelines.
- Improve the observability and SLAs for the above services and raw layer data in the Lakehouse.
We would love to hear from you if you are passionate about building data products!
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This team has periodic on-site collaboration sessions twice or thrice a year. Upstart will cover all travel-related expenses if you need to travel to make these meetups.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Build and Improve the tools owned by the Capture team
- Own the service/raw layer data observability and SLAs
- Participate in planning and prioritization by collaborating with stakeholders across the various product verticals and functions (ML, Analytics, Finance) to ensure our architecture aligns with the overall business objectives.
- Collaborate with stakeholders such as Software Engineering, Machine Learning, Machine Learning Platform and Analytics teams to ingest well curated data into the Lakehouse and adopt the developer tools
- Participate in code reviews and architecture discussions to exchange actionable feedback with peers.
- Contribute to engineering best practices and mentor junior team members.
- Help break down complex projects and requirements into sprints.
- Continuously monitor and improve data platform performance, reliability, and security.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and industry best practices in data engineering.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience in data engineering or related fields, with a strong focus on data quality, governance, and data infrastructure.
- Proficiency in data engineering tech stack; Databricks / PostgreSQL / Python / Spark / Kafka/ Streaming / SQL / AWS / Airflow/ DBT / containers and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes) and others.
- Ability to approach problems with first principles thinking, embrace ambiguity, and enjoy collaborative work on complex solutions.
- Preferred qualifications:
- Strong foundation in algorithms and data structures and their real-world use cases.
- Experience and understanding of distributed systems, data architecture design, and big data technologies (e.g., Spark Streaming / Batch, Kafka Streaming, Lakehouse, Databricks, Redshift).
- Experience with AWS technologies ( e.g., AWS Lambda, Redshift, RDS, S3, etc.).
- Knowledge of data ingestion, software engineering and data security best practices.
- Good knowledge of DevOps engineering using Continuous Integration/Delivery tools like Kubernetes, Jenkins, Terraform, etc., thinking about automation, alerting, monitoring, security, and other declarative infrastructure.
- Ability to explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways and navigate environments where problems are not well-defined (and evolve quickly).
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.