Senior Bankruptcy Manager
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart is seeking a candidate to fill a Bankruptcy Manager role to join our team and manage and improve our bankruptcy program. As a Bankruptcy Manager, you will be responsible for all day to day bankruptcy task execution (case filings, account notation and updates, documentation etc.). You will own a relationship with our bankruptcy servicer and manage Upstart’s internal team to ensure that all tasks are completed timely and in accordance with Upstart’s policies and procedures.
An ideal candidate will have deep experience and knowledge with managing bankruptcy processes, robust knowledge of bankruptcy laws and regulations, be a strong leader with excellent vendor relationships skills, is solutions-oriented and likes to build new and improve existing processes and workflows. He/She/They is self-motivated, a great planner, exercises excellent judgment and handles challenges with positivity and grit. The candidate should also be able to communicate effectively and establish key relationships with Upstart’s vendors and internal teams.
[Position location] This role is available in the following locations: Remote
[Time zone requirements] The team operates on the East/West coast time zones.
[Travel requirements] This team has regular onsite collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days twice a year at one of Upstarts offices (CA, OH, TX), additionally travel will be required for any onsite vendor visits and any other necessary meetings/ training. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Own Upstarts bankruptcy program, the internal team and company relations with our Bankruptcy Servicer by delivering timely, accurate and professional operational support.
- Establish KPIs and performance standards for the team and Bankruptcy Servicer and ensure that the day to day work (case filings, account updates, system accuracy etc.) is handled accurately and in a timely manner.
- Identify possible areas of process improvements, propose thoughtful solutions, and partner with stakeholders across Upstart to implement improvements.
- Manage compliance risks, drive any process issues/ risk to a successful resolution.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 5+ years of bankruptcy management experience.
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Strong analytical, problem solving and planning skills.
- Ability to think critically, prioritize tasks, make decisions and utilize resources.
- Deep understanding of Bankruptcy laws and regulations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Balance ability to work fast with a high degree of accuracy and detail.
- Proven track record of taking ownership of issues and driving results.
- Preferred qualifications:
- 10+ years of bankruptcy management experience.
- Experience with secured and unsecured loan products.
- Bachelor's degree in business management or leadership.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
This is a Non-Exempt position. Employees in this position are paid an hourly pay rate, on a bi-weekly basis, and are eligible to receive overtime pay for any hours worked over 40 in a work week, or over 8 in a work day if required by state law.
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated annualized base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.