Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
The Role Description
Upstart is looking for a Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning to help us achieve our mission of enabling effortless credit based on true risk. In this role, you will work closely with our machine learning and engineering teams to design, develop, and improve on machine learning applications across the entire Upstart business. You will ship core improvements to our machine learning models, with a focus on credit risk and underwriting, thereby accelerating our core mission of delivering increasing value to borrowers over time. You will drive the strategic direction and day-to-day execution of a cross-functional technical team of research scientists, data scientists, and software engineers that aligns the interests of internal and external stakeholders.
One of the reasons Upstart has experienced such rapid growth is because of the clear-eyed, analytical approach we take to product enhancements. The right candidate for this role should be highly capable, able to organize both ideas and people, and excel at problem solving of many kinds. You should have a bias toward action and be able to break down complex problems into steps that drive rapid product development. You will bridge the technical and business worlds as you first design services that our customers love and then engage stakeholders to make them a reality. By clearly defining requirements and removing blockers, you will act as a multiplier on the productivity of your team.
Position Location - This role is available across the US
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates in all US time zone
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 2-3 days per Month at our San Mateo or Columbus office. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Conduct user research, analyze portfolio performance, and manage stakeholders to drive consensus towards a roadmap for our credit underwriting models
- Identify new opportunities to improve the accuracy and speed of credit underwriting decisions
- Write detailed requirements; manage agile processes to ensure consistent execution and accurate timelines across engineering and machine learning teams
- Make smart trade-offs to inform the ongoing product roadmap, prioritizing the features with the highest ROI and experimenting when necessary
- Deliver improved credit performance for our lending partners and investors while advocating for a excellent customer experience
- Demonstrate and encourage best practices in product management by working with other PMs throughout the company
What we’re looking for:
- BA/BS in Economics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5-7 years of product management experience.
- Knowledge of machine learning workflows (e.g. model training, online inference, feature management, etc.)
- Experience working with a machine learning team to ship models into production.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment, and to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends; excellent problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Work experience in machine learning, data science, or analytics
- Demonstrated ability to excel in informal or formal product leadership responsibilities.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
#LI-MidSenior --> use for L5, L6
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.