Head of Recovery
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
As the Head of Recovery Operations and Performance at Upstart, you will work within the Operations organization and partner closely with Compliance, Legal, Product and Engineering to build a robust Recovery operation focused on post-charge off management of accounts and strategies. You will partner with Customer Service, Collections, Onboarding and other teams to create an approach unique to Upstart and our partners.
You will be responsible for leading, setting strategy and having operational oversight of recovery efforts including asset sales, 3rd party collection agency selection, management, performance, and various other strategies to recover dollars post charge off. You will lead a growing group of individuals and vendors who focus on optimizing our strategy.
In this position you will be responsible for people and vendor/agency management. You will manage a team of vendor relationship managers focused on delivering strong performance. Additionally, you will be innovative in setting recovery strategy, partnering with vendors, lending partners and our capital markets team to ensure we are using technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness while operating in compliance with all regulatory requirements.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, CA or Columbus, OH
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - As a digital first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. The majority of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular onsites. The in-person sessions’ cadence varies depending on the team and role; most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead a team of managers, vendors and agents to maximize recovery efforts on charged-off loans.
- Evaluate agency performance and design an appropriate placement strategy. Maximize performance of these agencies through the implementation of a robust agency monitoring program.
- Oversee Debt Sales from debt buyer selection, pricing, bids, forward flow sales and spot sales. Conduct regular audits of the debt buyers to monitor for adherence to Upstarts standards.
- Maintain regular audits of all recovery vendors to ensure compliance with laws, regulations and contractual obligations.
- Cultivate strong relationships with all Recovery partners and any 3rd party collection agencies collecting on accounts that are not yet charged off.
- Develop and monitor key KPIs and other performance metrics. Use the data to set and design strategies, including segmentation and approach.
- Regularly report out on performance, trends and progress. This role is responsible for communicating the overall health of the Recovery organization.
- Lead and drive change within the Recovery organization to build infrastructure, policy, strategy, and technology improvements.
- Implement or expand recovery strategies that may include litigation or probate management.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 6+ years of experience managing recovery efforts on charged-off loans while developing and executing strategy.
- Experience building and leading recovery teams focused on processes such as vendor oversight, third party collections, debt sales, probate and litigation strategies.
- Experience working with charged-off loans, setting strategy, leading projects and an in-depth understanding of recovery metrics.
- Big picture thinker: You understand how all stakeholders behave and perform, and are highly capable of combining different tools and methods to create an effective recovery strategy
- Analytical adeptness: You are data-driven, analytical, detail-oriented and relentlessly use data to make decisions on strategy, constantly re-evaluating and updating strategy as needed to maximize effectiveness.
- Flexible amid change and ambiguity. You are excited and comfortable working in an early-stage, high-growth company with limited historical data. You learn quickly, work independently, think creatively, and adapt well to change. You are comfortable operating quickly and scrappily, and as well as other technical and non-technical audiences at Upstart.
- Curiosity. You are immensely curious about the root cause of issues, think critically from first principles, and never stop asking questions.
- Thought Partner. You’re open minded and thoughtful about new ideas, and can serve as a thought partner to the team.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Work Experience
- Preferred qualifications:
- Experience working in Fintech and/ or auto finance company
- Has partnered with Lending Partners or Marketplace lenders to manage a portfolio of accounts
- Masters degree
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.