Software Engineer II, Pricing
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters can live and work anywhere in the U.S. We also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Pricing team is a core team responsible for quickly and accurately creating loan offers for all of Upstart’s loan products like Personal Loans, Auto loans and Home loans. The services owned by the Pricing team are responsible for validating applicant data, interfacing with Machine Learning models to determine borrower risk, matching the applicant to a lender and calculating interest rate, fees etc. The team’s current priorities are creating new capabilities for Upstart’s loan products and building a next generation software platform to improve the experience for the team’s internal and external customers.
As a Software Engineer II on the Pricing team, you will work in a highly collaborative and fast paced environment to build customer facing components and a next generation software platform while working with a team of talented engineers and Product managers. You will have the opportunity to grow technically and do meaningful work that will ship to production and will be used by actual end users in a growing Fintech.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, San Mateo, Columbus, Austin
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - As a digital first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. The majority of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular onsites. The in-person sessions’ cadence varies depending on the team and role; most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Reduce latency of page load times to improve customer experience
- Build a next generation software platform that will reduce the time to market for new features for all loan products
- Build key features and capabilities for all of Upstart’s loan products
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- 4+ years of experience developing applications professionally with proficiency in backend-leaning full stack development
- Proficiency in Python application development, with frameworks such as, or similar to FastAPI, Flask, Django, etc.
- Experience working in dynamic fast paced organizations
- Solid grasp of software development principles and best practices for creating scalable and maintainable systems
- Preferred qualifications:
- Professional experience with Python, React/ NextJS/Vercel, SQL, Flask/Django, REST/gRPC, Kubernetes, CI/CD, Python AI frameworks like Pandas, NumPy, etc.
- Ability to develop software in a cloud environment preferably with AWS
- Strong communication skills
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for the quality and timely delivery of work
- Ability to thrive both in self-directed work environments and in collaborative settings, contributing positively to team dynamics
- Demonstrated ability to take feedback well and actively incorporate it into work with a desire to continuously improve
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.