Senior Engineering Manager, Growth Retention
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters live and work anywhere in the United States. However, we also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s Growth Retention team is responsible for improving long-term engagement and monetization for our growing user base. As Upstart expands it's product offerings and builds out a multi-product ecosystem, it becomes increasingly important for us to continuously deliver new insights about our users.
As the Senior Engineering Manager for Growth Retention at Upstart, your leadership will be instrumental in helping us create the right tools and platforms for us to target the right users in the right ways. You will work closely with cross-functional counterparts in Analytics, Marketing and Product to create new financial insights about our millions of users, and use those insights to guide software engineers to build new user journeys and flows.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Remote, Austin, San Mateo, Columbus
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates across all US time zones
Travel Requirements - This team has regular on-site collaboration sessions. These occur 3-4 days per Quarter at one of our office locations. If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Define and implement an engineering roadmap that supports the ongoing monetization and engagement of our user base
- Lead, mentor, and manage a team of engineers, ensuring continuous team growth and individual development
- Work closely with product, analytics, marketing and other engineering teams to build new product experiences
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- 8+ years of experience in software development with a minimum of 3 years in growth engineering or a growth-adjacent role
- 3+ years of experience in a managerial role
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to convey complex technical information to a variety of audiences
- Preferred qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- Strong knowledge of A/B testing and the application of analytics to drive user behavior
- Proven track record of leading and scaling engineering teams
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.