Senior Software Engineer, Small Dollar Lending
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters live and work anywhere in the United States. However, we also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Join our dynamic Small Dollar Lending Engineering team at Upstart, where innovation meets practicality in the world of financial technology. Our dedicated group of engineers and product specialists work hand-in-hand to build and manage the technological backbone of our Small Dollar Lending product. This product is a cornerstone of our mission to make credit more accessible, enabling users to apply for relief loans seamlessly. We aim ambitiously to significantly contribute to Upstart’s growth by attracting a substantial portion of new borrowers. We pride ourselves on a culture of open collaboration, cutting-edge technology, and a relentless focus on customer-centric solutions.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Upstart, you will be instrumental in driving the technical direction and architecture of our Small Dollar Lending product. In this role, you will tackle complex challenges, translating business objectives into scalable software solutions, and significantly impacting our mission to democratize access to credit. You will also lead and mentor a team of talented engineers, fostering an environment of innovation and excellence. Your contributions will be pivotal in evolving our product, enhancing user experience, and advancing our technology frontier in the FinTech space.
How you’ll make an impact
- Lead and Innovate: Play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our Small Dollar Lending product, influencing both the technical landscape and product strategy. Your expertise in software engineering will drive the development of robust and scalable solutions that serve millions, and your insights in product development and business acumen will be highly valued, carrying significant weight across the team.
- Collaborate and Strategize: Work closely with product managers and cross-functional teams to define and execute our product roadmap, ensuring that our technology not only meets but exceeds our users' expectations.
- Mentor and Inspire: As a senior member of the team, mentor junior engineers and promote a culture of technical excellence and continuous learning.
- 5+ years of experience in software development with a proven track record in high-quality coding.
- Solid understanding of software development methodologies and life cycles.
- Proven experience in leading large-scale software development projects.
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills, with the ability to drive initiatives and influence cross-functional teams.
- Proficient in the following programming languages/technologies: Kotlin, TypeScript, Next.js/React.
- Experience in the FinTech industry, particularly in lending or credit scoring systems.
- Familiarity with machine learning technologies and their application in financial services.
- Prior experience in a product management capacity.
Travel requirements As a digital first company, the majority of your work can be accomplished remotely. The majority of our employees can live and work anywhere in the U.S but are encouraged to to still spend high quality time in-person collaborating via regular onsites. The in-person sessions’ cadence varies depending on the team and role; most teams meet once or twice per quarter for 2-4 consecutive days at a time.
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.