Senior Recovery Manager, Vendor Oversight
Upstart is a leading AI lending marketplace partnering with banks and credit unions to expand access to affordable credit. By leveraging Upstart's AI marketplace, Upstart-powered banks and credit unions can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates across races, ages, and genders, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. More than two-thirds of Upstart loans are approved instantly and are fully automated.
Upstart is a digital-first company, which means that most Upstarters live and work anywhere in the United States. However, we also have offices in San Mateo, California; Columbus, Ohio; and Austin, Texas.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you!
Upstart’s recovery team is seeking a candidate to join the team as a Senior Recovery Manager, Vendor Oversight to manage collections agencies and other recovery related vendors. As a Senior Recovery Manager, Vendor Oversight you will own the agency program, be responsible for analyzing and managing vendor performance to maximize late stage delinquency performance and recovery for charged off accounts. You will be responsible for a segment of our late stage delinquency and post charge off portfolio, own the new vendor selection process, build relationships with our vendors and ensure that they meet Upstart’s expectations, follow Upstart’s policies and procedures, and deliver a positive experience to our customers.
An ideal candidate will be able to think strategically and analytically, is solutions-oriented, and likes to improve processes and workflows. He/She is self-motivated, a great planner, exercises excellent judgment and handles challenges with positivity and grit. The candidate should also be able to communicate effectively and establish key relationships with Upstart’s vendors and internal teams.
Position Location - This role is available in the following locations: Columbus, OH, San Mateo, CA OR Remote
Time Zone Requirements - This team operates on the East/West Coast time zones.
Travel Requirements - This role requires travel to vendor sites up to a couple of times per quarter or attend in person onsite collaboration sessions at one of Upstart’s offices in California, Texas or Ohio (once or twice a year). If you need to travel to make these meetups, Upstart will cover all travel related expenses.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Own the late stage delinquency and charged off portfolio performance for accounts placed with 3rd party collections agencies, including placement strategy.
- Manage company relations with vendors (collections agencies etc.) by delivering timely, accurate and professional operational support to all vendors.
- Track and analyze vendor performance, address any concerns, work closely with the Program Manager to set SLA’s and performance standards and ensure these expectations are met.
- Manage current vendor network by onboarding new vendors and/ or terminating vendors that are not meeting Upstarts expectations.
- Identify possible areas of process improvements, manage compliance risks, drive any process issues/ risk to a successful resolution, propose thoughtful solutions and individually or by partnering with other stakeholders across Upstart implement proposed improvements.
- Conduct onsite audits according to Upstart’s vendor management practices.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum qualifications:
- 2+ years experience working with or managing external vendors within the collections space.
- Experience conducting vendor site audits, managing vendor performance, and holding vendor partners accountable per Upstart’s vendor management practice expectations and industry regulations.
- Able to analyze data, think critically, prioritize tasks appropriately, and drive strategic process improvement practices.
- Familiarity with collection laws and regulations.
- Preferred qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience working with or managing external vendors in the collections space.
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) and present information in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience working with Salesforce, Excel, and Google Suite (sheets, forms, doc, etc.).
- Minimum of 1 year people management experience.
What you'll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with Health Savings Account contributions from Upstart
- 401(k) with 100% company match up to $4,500 and immediate vesting and after-tax savings
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous holiday, vacation, sick and safety leave
- Supportive parental, family care, and military leave programs
- Annual wellness, technology & ergonomic reimbursement programs
- Social activities including team events and onsites, all-company updates, employee resource groups (ERGs), and other interest groups such as book clubs, fitness, investing, and volunteering
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks when working in offices
At Upstart, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. The anticipated base salary for this position is expected to be within the below range. Your actual base pay will depend on your geographic location–with our “digital first” philosophy, Upstart uses compensation regions that vary depending on location. Individual pay is also determined by job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
In addition, Upstart provides employees with target bonuses, equity compensation, and generous benefits packages (including medical, dental, vision, and 401k).
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please email email@example.com