Senior Accountant, Tax & Compliance
Who We Are
WillowTree, a TELUS International Company, partners with the world’s leading brands to help them tackle their thorniest challenges - be it launching new digital products, delivering personalized marketing at scale, or harnessing the power of data and AI to transform their business. These mission-critical initiatives aren’t solved by a single discipline. Great digital is a team game - it requires seamlessly combining strategy, engineering, design, data science, marketing, and more. Other firms have bolted on these capabilities - as digital natives, we’ve built them into our teams from Day 1. The result? Top and bottom lines that grow, alongside our client’s capabilities. Check out how we have impacted our clients' digital portfolios over the years.
In January 2023, WillowTree was acquired by TELUS International (Symbol: TIXT). The combined company brings an unparalleled ability to deliver seamless, trusted, digitally-enabled experiences across any channel a customer might choose - be it mobile apps, websites, voice skills, chatbots, email, service agents, or associates.
When team members told us they needed more flexibility and autonomy around where and how they worked, we acted, creating two options to accommodate two different styles of work. One non-negotiable principle along the way? We had to retain our deep culture of collaboration, both among ourselves and with our clients. Introducing Work From Near (Hybrid) and Work From Anywhere (Remote) at WillowTree. Learn more here.
This role will have the option to be in a Work From Near (Hybrid) capacity based out of one of our offices OR in a Work From Anywhere (Remote) capacity with travel to clients and WillowTree offices expected.
As WillowTree’s Senior Accountant, Tax & Consolidation, you’ll lead tax compliance efforts for our nationwide operations, collaborating with the Account & Consolidation Manager. You’ll lead the preparation and filing of indirect taxes, resolving tax notices, and partnering with external consultants. Additionally, you’ll handle the business insurance, coordinate Workers’ Compensation compliance, and contribute to month-end close activities. Your expertise will be pivotal in maintaining compliance, organizing meticulous filing systems, and supporting various financial processes, making you a key figure in WillowTree’s financial integrity.
- Lead the preparation of multi-state sales and use tax returns
- Ownership for quarterly filing for Ohio Commercial Activity Tax (CAT) and Washington Business and Occupation (B&O) tax
- Resolve tax notices by communicating with UKG Payment Services as needed
- Determine the course of action for any tax notices received, including submission/follow-ups with external vendor partners
- Collaborate with external tax accounting vendors for various types of fillings, including property tax filings
- Involved in the month-end close activities, including reconciling certain accounts, including sales tax payable, and recording certain reclassifications.
- Ownership of business insurance, disbursement and submission of renewed Certificate of insurance to clients, and submission of needed documentation for Workers’ Compensation compliance and annual WillowTree audits
- Prepare payments and remittances for payments due, including mail tracking, documentation, etc.
- Maintain the filling system for all entities in the WillowTree enterprise
- Partner with Corporation Service Company (CSC) for any requirements related to annual reporting
- Partner with WillowTree’s Accounts Payable team with 1099 filing and submission
- Assist with audit preparation related to the financial statement audit
- 3+ years of tax accounting experience
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Track record of striving for data integrity and a desire to constantly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of accounting processes
- Experience with regulatory filings
- Strong understanding of taxes, sales and use tax, and general compliance
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an Accounting emphasis OR a CPA
- Ability to work independently without considerable oversight and to act decisively in order to meet deadlines and maintain accuracy
- Maintains a consistent awareness of tax accounting trends and changes
- Collaborative approach with the ability to engage various disciplines and stakeholders in an organization
- Demonstrates an equitable and open-minded approach when considering the viewpoints of others, especially when those viewpoints differ from their own
- Experience with Workday
- Understanding of SOX compliance
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree upholds our core values in every aspect of our work. We promote safe and inclusive work environments and maintain a drug-free workplace. We celebrate our differences and provide equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.