Parallax Advanced Research
Do you have an interest in classified IT and security? Do you want to grow with a company that has the same passion? Do you enjoy reaching goals and being a part of a high-performing research team?
Parallax Advanced Research is a 501(c)(3) private nonprofit research institute based in Dayton, Ohio. We’ve been recognized as Dayton's Business of the Year in 2022 and have received multiple accolades, including being named one of Dayton's "Best Places to Work" in 2021 and 2022, winning three Gold Stevie Awards for Organization of the Year (Medium Non-Profit) (2022), Government Sales and Customer Service (2022), and Achievement in Science/Technology for Data Abyss (2023), and recipient of the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Above and Beyond Award.
We operate our mission nationally, which is to deliver innovative research and provide technology, human, and business solutions via The Science of Intelligent Teaming™ for government, industry, and academic clients with critical challenges. Our vision is to advance the Nation's innovation advantage through our work. Our services include advanced research in the areas of artificial intelligence, autonomy, human machine teaming, and unmanned aerial systems. We also manage a suite of entrepreneurial-focused networks, including the Ohio Federal Research Network and Launch Dayton program. In 2023, the 501(c)(3) private nonprofit research institute Ohio Aerospace Institute (OAI) became wholly affiliated with Parallax, expanding our organization's services to include space and aerospace advanced technology research and development and workforce development.
At Parallax, we are driven by the desire to make a lasting impact. We believe in collaborating extensively, valuing the diversity of people and ideas. Our dedication to integrity and commitment to personal growth are unwavering. Transparency and effective communication are at the core of our operations. We encourage bold and innovative solutions that positively influence the world around us.
As a Systems Administrator, you will be working with the Advanced Engineering Lead and Program Manager of MATRIX and Parallax clients. When working with your team, you will provide support for existing technologies that require additional talent, not available in our current talent pool, to be able to take full advantage of all the benefits and for newer technologies being both requested by our customer base as well as what we, the IT Team, are looking to implement.
In this position, you will not only be doing IT performance, but also providing complex software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. This includes scheduling installations and upgrades and maintaining them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures, monitoring and tuning the system to achieve optimum performance levels, evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions of varying complexities, planning and implementing the modernization of servers and conducting hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines.
In addition to that, a typical day-in-the-life of a Systems Administrator includes:
- Providing day to day support of Government customers, which consists of all hardware and software
- Network hardware support
- Updating and maintaining existing software and hardware
- Offering O365 Support
- Maintaining SharePoint
- Existing 3rd party application support
- Researching and developing both 3rd party and fully established apps (i.e., VMWare vSphere, Microsoft Workstation and Server) to develop solutions to fulfill requests by both our fellow Parallaxians as well as our IT Team
- Following up on support tickets on behalf of users
- Ordering equipment and provide support for users
Ideally, you are looking for your next long-term challenge and have these skills:
- US Citizenship
- Must hold a SECRET Clearance, and be eligible to obtain TS/SCI Clearance
- Familiarity with user/group account management (passwords, usernames, permissions)
- Knowledge of network access storage (shared drives)
- Printer installation and sharing
- Experience problem solving and troubleshooting IT issues
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
- Experience with Linux-based Operating Systems (specifically RHEL and Ubuntu)
- Able to open support tickets with the IT Service Desk on behalf of users
- Troubleshoot user issues, including but not limited to email, internet, hardware, and account issues
- Needs to have a positive attitude and be able to multitask and a desire to learn
- Good oral and written communication skills
Furthermore, do you have, or want to develop these skills?
- Ideal candidates will have some Level 1 IT experience
- CompTIA Security+ credential or ability to obtain within 90-days of start
- Experience with DoD STIGs
- Experience with DoD ACAS (Assured Compliance Assessment Solution)
- Experience with DoD HBSS and DoD Antivirus solutions
- Experience with Windows Enterprise Domains and Server/Workstation Group Policy
- 2-3 years of Office 365 administration (Exchange/SharePoint specifically)
- 2+ years working with cloud environment (cloud GCC-High/azure)
- Experience on back-end support for VMware onsite Hosting Solutions
Parallax Advanced Research will help you reach your goals by offering:
- Competitive salary with annual reviews.
- Health, dental, and vision coverage.
- Employer-paid Life insurance, STD, and LTD.
- Roth post-tax 401(K) and/or pre-tax with a generous monthly company match, and yearly employer contribution.
- Education Assistance: employee’s tuition is 100% covered, in addition, we cover 80% of our employee’s dependent’s tuition.
- Working from home opportunities for some positions.
- PTO time, regular paid holidays, and flex paid holidays.
- Paid Military Leave, Paid Maternity and Paternity leave, FMLA coverage for extended paid and unpaid leave, STD, LTD, and flexible hours.
- Annual PTO sell-back.